My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Ducks and the Garden

Welsh Harlequin drakelet
The mixed lot of ducklings that I got back the end of June are really growing up now. It appears that I just might have a pair of purebred Welsh Harlequins. Isn't this drakelet just the most handsome fella ever?

The trio behind him are definately mixed breed, crested and Indian runner crossed with the Harlequin.










Welsh Harlequin ducklet

This ducklet is possibly also pure WH but I can't be positive for awhile; as adults the ducks are supposed to have a nearly black bill and light legs.














Back garden squash
And here is the squash that ate the house. This view of the back garden shows the squash covering the greenhouse frame and clambering onto the roof. The window screens in the foreground are covering a seeding of beets and radish. The four Amish Paste tomatoes that I have left out of eight are on the right.






This photo was taken from the right side of those tomato plants. In the lower right are the yellow wax beans and some red amaranth. In the center front is the bed of summer squash, several yellow patty pans and a yellow zucchini. I was getting a really weird looking zuke, it looked like a cross between a zuke and a crook neck. Tasted just like a zuke. I missed some and they got huge; I'm thinking that they are spaghetti squash that came out of my compost. The squash leaves with silver markings in the front are the yellow zuke. The ones with silver markings on the house are the Tromboncinno.  The really huge deep green leaves running right up the center are the spaghetti squash. (remember you can click on the pictures to see them larger). The squash vines have all grown over the paths and make it difficult to work in the garden. But they will not be around but another couple months so I think I can manage. Also they will grow slower as the weather cools off.

2 comments:

  1. Love the little ducklings and it's amazing how the squash can take over so much space!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yeah, the squash is taking up a whole lot of real estate around here! Thanks for stopping by

    ReplyDelete